Thursday, May 19, 2016

Digital blog post B

One of the concepts that interested me in Chapter 2 was "identifying groups of technology users". When I thought about groups before, there was the technologically advanced (the people who can grab any technology and understand it quickly), the average Joe (the ones that take a little longer to understand technology), and the caveman (the people who struggles with or refuses to use technology). In this section, the book breaks the groups down into many names including: digital collaborators (people who use online and mobile technology to make and share information with peers), desktop veteran (people who uses the desktop technology for work and communication but is less likely to use mobile devices like cell phones), Information encumbered (people who uses mostly old media, telephones, and print materials for information and doesn't use the web or mobile devices), and the technology indifferent people (those who use online and mobile devices on rare occasions but prefer not to use modern technology.) I want to say that I believe I would be in the lower Roving node since school requires me to use modern technology or the upper desktop veteran since I use my phone more for listening to music rather than staying connected to peers. I found this video to show the difference between the old generation and the new generation with technology.




Another thing that stuck out to me this chapter was the "Teaching Philosophies" (Maloy, et al, 2013, p. 26-27). I remembered talking about this in my Intro to Teaching Profession class and finding out that I lean more towards the student-centered philosophy when it comes to teaching. Though I do believe that teacher-centered is effective, that philosophy is better in a high school/college level where creativity isn't necessary as for the elementary/middle school it is., in my opinion. when it comes down to which philosophy is best, there is no winner, one is more preferred over the other in each individual. This slideshow gives a little explanation to what each philosophy is.

Student-Centered - Created with Haiku Deck, presentation software that inspires
The third concept that caught my eye was about teaching students to "Recognize URL's" in chapter 5 (Maloy, et al, 2013, p. 116). when I saw the list, the ones that I vaguely knew were .com, .net, .gov, .edu, and .org. Once I saw .biz, .mil, and .info I had a nice little eye opener since I have never heard of them before let alone seen them. I also haven't heard of .k12 or .sch so my mind was everywhere. Just this past Spring semester, I learned about .ca and .uk because of my research topics and those sites were primary sources. .nz I do not know what to think about, but to wait until the day I see it.

So after reading the two chapters, I learned something new from both of them and want to know where other people believe they are at on the technology identity scale.




Resources: 
 Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.


 McCarthy, J. (2015, September 09). Student-Centered Learning: It Starts With the Teacher. Retrieved May 19, 2016, from http://www.edutopia.org/blog/student-centered-learning-starts-with-teacher-john-mccarthy

 OlaƱo, M. (2014, August 12). Preferences of Technology Generation. Retrieved May 19, 2016, from https://youtu.be/BNvNbja37jI 

 Roberson, M. (2016, May 19). Teaching Philosophies. Retrieved May 19, 2016, from https://www.haikudeck.com/presentations/LilMarc
 Which is Best: Teacher-Centered or Student-Centered Education? (2012, December 31). Retrieved May 19, 2016, from http://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/classroom-resources/which-is-best-teacher-centered-or-student-centered-education/
Updated January 6, 2016 

No comments:

Post a Comment