Thursday, May 12, 2016

Chapter 1 blog

The three concepts to reflect on in chapter 1

1) According to Figure 1.1 (Maloy, et al, 2013, p. 4), the age groups are divided in kids(8-10), tweens(11-14), and teens(15-17) and it is interesting seeing how the tweens appear to have the most time used on some type of entertainment media than any other group EACH DAY! This poll was taken back in 2010 which sat me in the teens category and I remember how much and how long I was on Facebook and Myspace playing games, listening to music, or talking to my friends.

2) This chapter goes on to talk about Technology-Based Textbooks. Back in my days of middle school, the upper-middle and upper class students had a phone. the most popular phones used were the Motorola Razor and then the iPhone which was only used for socializing. During that time eBooks were not a thing so it was the original four to eight textbooks a day for classes with a three minute break to your locker and to class before you were late. Now technology has boosted tremendously and paperback textbooks are going extinct. Almost every household has at least one cell phone, tablet/laptop, and internet connectivity which allows for buying eBooks from amazon, schools, bookstores, etc. Soon technology will be the new textbooks and the textbook would never been heard of. Here is a little clip about textbooks vs tablets: 




3) After reading about how to build my digital identity as a teacher (Maloy, et al, 2013, p. 15), it became clear to me that I really need to up my game with the technological game. Because I didn't have a phone or many games in my elementary days i started to lean over to the "caveman days" near the end of my junior year and throughout now. As I am behind on touchscreen anything and not app savvy I would be stuck teaching the 20th century way to 21st century learners and they would be completely lost on that. But when I start doing more with online blogs and looking for teaching tools that'll help not only me, but also my students I will start having my character look more like this 


and less like this

All in all, technology can be good and bad depending on the use, but it will only upgrade from here on out so we have to adapt to the changes as quickly as possible as teachers and future teachers.






Resources: 
 Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.


 Penguinlover AJ - Google. (n.d.). Retrieved May 12, 2016, from https://plus.google.com/115122600995767713000/posts 

 Re: B.C. newspaper tycoon | Clipart Panda - Free Clipart Images. (n.d.). Retrieved May 12, 2016, from http://www.clipartpanda.com/clipart_images/re-b-c-newspaper-tycoon-26678839

Teen Titans Go! Pictures  . (n.d.). Retrieved May 12, 2016, from http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/shows/teen-titans-go/pictures/cyborg-2/index.html


 M. (2013, May 16). Textbooks or Electronic Devices in School? Retrieved May 12, 2016, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etmn8LuAjD4 

 T. (2014, June 26). Ttg-gifs. Retrieved May 12, 2016, from http://ttg-gifs.tumblr.com/post/90019932989/meatball-party-for-cookak 

No comments:

Post a Comment